International Students & Programs / International Students at Brenau

Exchange students

International Students at Brenau

It is important for international students on F-1 visas to understand their immigration status while at Brenau. Please read the information below, and if you have any questions you may contact the director of international students and programs.

Reduced Course Load (RCL) – Student Request Form

In certain circumstances, F-1 students can be allowed to register for classes less than full time if approved by both an advisor/professor and the director of international students.

The circumstances under which you can apply for an RCL are if:

-You will be graduating at the end of the semester and need fewer credits to graduate than are considered full time, or
-You are/will be working on a thesis or dissertation full-time, or
-This is your first semester at a U.S. higher education institution and you are having academic difficulty, or
-You are having a medical issue that prevents you from attending classes full time. Note that this option does not require your academic advisor’s approval, only the director of international students.

If your situation meets one of the above options, please complete the form linked to above which will then be sent to your academic advisor for his or her confirmation. The director of international students will then be informed when your advisor has submitted the form and will contact you to let you know if you have been approved or not. This should be done prior to the end of the add/drop period.

Curricular Practical Training(CPT)

If you are interested in, or required to, have an off campus internship you must receive approval from me prior to starting work – this is called Curricular Practical Training, otherwise known as CPT. This authorization is required for both paid and unpaid positions, part time or full time. You are eligible for CPT if:

– You have been in F-1 status for at least one academic year and it is not your first semester
– You are required to complete an internship for your program, or you register for an internship/independent study class
– Your proposed work experience is related to your program of study

Note that working without authorization is a violation of your immigration status. If you have questions about CPT, please email me to make an appointment so that we can discuss your options and the process.

For more information, and to apply for CPT, please go here:

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Students in F-1 status are permitted to apply for a one year work authorization called optional practical training, or OPT. This work authorization is normally used by students upon completion of their academic program. For more information about OPT and the application process, please read our OPT guide. If you have additional questions you may email the director of international students or make an appointment.

If you are currently on OPT and you need to report your employment, you may find the OPT Employer Update Form here

International Student Health Insurance

International students on F-1 visas are required to hold health insurance through Brenau. For information on what is covered by the international student health insurance policy please review the brochure.

Contact Us:
Rachel Lane
Associate Director of International Students and Programs
500 Washington St. S.E.
Gainesville, GA 30501
Center for Chinese Culture & Language – 406 Academy St

Schedule an appointment with the director